Where Daycare Professionals and Ideas Come Together

Helping children deal with grief?

One of the parent's at our centre is terminally ill. Does anyone have any advice/good books on helping kid's deal with grief? This will be very difficult as the boy's lives revolve around their mother. They are both quite young. Almost 3 and 6.

ohhh this is soooo sad I can't think of any books at the moment, sorry . I'll try to get back to you with something.

I will be important to talk with them. Let them talk and drawing will also be a big thing

My heart goes out to them.

I wish I had something but I've never dealt with this before. let me ask around and see if I can come up with any resources.

thoughts/prayers to the family

The only book that always come to my mind when I think of this situation is "La lueur du matin" which is Morning light. I cried while reading this book. It is well written. In this story, it's about a mom that is dying from Aids, but it is adapt for every scenario. Maybe you could look into this, and see if it can help you.

http://openlibrary.org/b/OL20219073M
this is the picture of the book http://www.jump.co.za/product/morning-light-margaret-merrifield-et-al-3217012.htm

Thank you so much Kappi! My staff and I are attending a seminar tonight on dealing with grief in children. I will write an article with the info I collect this week. We are going to be purchasing some books for the daycare on this topic just to have in case. I will look in to this one in particular.

Sadly we just found out yesterday another parent from our centre has passed away. Her children were 5 & 6. We are all in shock. I am glad I took the grief course in Jan., even if it was in preparation for what I thought would be another event. I would be happy to send out information from this seminar to anyone working in a child care centre who might need it. Hopefully it is not something we will ever have to deal with again.

Sadly, the parent I originally posted about passed away on Tuesday. The funeral is today. we saw the boys at daycare yesterday and they were holding up really well. I am sure there will be some tough times ahead, but it was good to see them keeping to a routine and holding up quite well under the circumstances.

I'm so sorry to hear Andrea. I would love information on the subject and hope I never need to use it. We do have books on site on the subject. Knock on wood...been doing this since 1986 and haven't had to deal with it.

I have this info filed away since 2009, but I will dig it out and send it over.